I changed some more or less internal things today. Here is what happened:
– integrated a Twitter feed widget that displays my timeline
– reviewed all categories, renamed some, deleted many
– updated SSL settings
If you find a bug, please contact me. One item is still open and I´m looking for help here. I´m using the WordPress HTTPS plugin to secure this site. However – the data entered in the search box is currently not encrypted and so a SSL warning is displayed. If anybody has an idea on how to fix this, I´d be happy to get an advice.
Happy birthday to my little blog !
5 years ago this was the first post ! So let´s see what the next 5 years will be like. I did some analytics of the past 5 years:
– 138 Posts = 27,6 posts per year = 2,3 posts per month
– 706 Tags = 5,1 tags per posts
– 24 Categories:
– Top 3 (including children): IT (49 posts), Annoying (41), Gaming (22)
– Low 2 (including children): Hip Hop (1 post), TU Ilmenau (2 posts)
– 317 items in the Media Library = 2,3 media items per post
Most commented post: Android on Samsung i8320 / H1 – H1droid / CyanogenMod
Thanks to all the people who visited this site in the last 5 years. See you around !
Picture source: http://www.allvectors.com/happy-birthday-vector-2/
Update – 25.01.2012
I still haven´t found a good solution for the problem. Several people report that they were able to solve it , by changing the owner of the “uploads” directory (to the user which php runs as (in most cases “wwwrun”). But that didn´t worked for me. The only solution I found was to run php as FastCGI and not as an Apache module. This solution though has some drawbacks. You need to configure a single php.ini for every virtual host you run and you can´t use .htaccess files anymore.
My conlusion – FastCGI resolves the problem but doesn´t cure the root of all that evil.
I guess the WordPress 3.3 and 3.3.1 are the worst releases the WordPress Team ever did. First the fucked up the visual editor and now the shittiest WordPress problem ever: “The uploaded file could not be moved to” – a problem occuring when you try to upload images/videos/media (and when your php runs in safe mode).
In older WordPress versions it could be easily solved by chmod 777 the “uploads” folder within “wp-content”. Now this doesn´t work anymore.
One solution is to chmod 777 “wp-content” completely. But they can´t be serious about that…can they ?
Update 2 – 10.01.2012:
I was asked about the “Use Google Libraries” plugin for WordPress – here it is: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/use-google-libraries/
And this explains why you may wanna use it, even if your visual editor works fine: http://encosia.com/3-reasons-why-you-should-let-google-host-jquery-for-you/
Thx Dave !
Update – 10.01.2012:
Wow – I found a new method to fix it. But honestly I don´t believe in it and wouldn´t recommend it further. But for me it worked (NO joke).
I wrote this text below with the Wordpres iPhone App because I couldn´t use the web cause the visual editor was broken. And after this article was successfully posted from the iPhone, I tried the visual editor again. And now it worked. Crazy ?! I think so…
Grrrrrrrrr…after updating to 3.3.1 the visual editor is broken. Again. The same shit happened after updating to 3.3. Last time I fixed it by installing the “Use Google Libraries” plugin. This worked fine for 3.3. But it doesn’t seem to work for 3.3.1. And the WordPress support groups are not a real help. Definitely not…damn !!!
Today is my personal administration day…many things have to be updated. I´m curious on how it´s gonna be. My first time fix is about 6 hours…I´ll keep you updated.
# updating 1st WordPress blog to version 3.0.1 => done
# updating 2nd WordPress blog to version 3.0.1 => done
# updating 3rd WordPress blog to version 3.0.1 => done
Elasped time, including backup work 1h. Great. The auto update function in WordPress is really great, as long as you haven´t customized your blog too far.
Now…backing up a dokuwiki.
# updating DokuWiki to version 2009-12-25 => done
Elapsed time, including backup work 2,5h. Better than I expected and no bug fixing after the update. Great. The only problem is that I wanted to correct just one simple font-size setting within the css. That cost me nearly 1h and it still doesn´t work.
Anyway…so far, my personal administration day went really well.
Today I did a Typo3 update from 4.1.3 to 4.4.1 and well this wasn´t so easy. The main issue was that an old extension prevented the backend to work. Ohh and I nearly forgot…I needed one hour to get the install console to work. The article above provides 2 solutions.
Update : I had to disable the plugin because it causes my Safari browser on the iPhone to crash. I´m not quite sure who to blame – the browser or the plugin, but I´ll try to find out soon.
WordPress and I are never going to be close friends but PageView got us a bit closer. With the help of this little plugin you can easily embedded websites into your post or pages without any pain in the ass. WordPress doesn´t allow direct iframe integration so this might help solve your problem.
You can customize the look & feel of the embedded website by changing the “pageview.css” file within the PageView plugin directory.
Get the plugin there : http://urbangiraffe.com/plugins/pageview/
Usage is :
['pageview url "some title" description']
(would look like this, if the plugin would have been enabled)
I got the wordpress app time ago from the AppStore. So far I had no time to update my blog to the latest wordpress version – a requirement for mobile blogging.
Now it’s done and this is the first approach…
300 spam comments in 2 days. Great…I really should think about installing the captcha plugin for the comments. And updating to the newest word press version. So many things to do, so little time available.